Friday, May 23, 2008

THE EPIC VICTORY

There it is. Manchester United is the champions of Europe! The match is one of the most amazing games that I have ever watched. Nail-biting, nerve-wrecking, heart-weakening(you need a heart of Ironman to watch this game) and it really brought out the emotions in fans, especially me. It had everything you can ask for- passion, tension, great footwork, great moves, great saves, a bit of compassion, fights, red card, yellow cards, tears, elation and some wonderful open football ....... the most emotional day!

When Paul Scholes broke his nose early in the game and had a lot of blood oozing out, I was so worried because it would be a disaster for him if his involvement in the game was to end that way. But he came back after treatment to perform brilliantly when he combined with Brown to create the Ronaldo goal. The '99 final memories is now finally behind him.


The number 42 will always be a special number that I will remember because it is the number of goals Ronaldo scored overall in this season and it is the number of my house address.

When Tevez and Carrick missed 3 golden chances, the pain was excruciating. They were so agonizingly close to wrapping up the game by half time. Instead, they conceded a very unlucky goal just before half-time and won it the hard way, all the way to extra-time and penalty shootout.

Chelsea took confidence from the equalizer and then dominated the second half. Suddenly, I felt like it was Barcelona again cos we were under so much pressure from Chelsea's attacks and we couldn't hold on to possession and create chances. You can't tell how much relief I felt when Drogba and Lampard's shots on goal hit the posts and away from the goal. The tension was so immense.

I felt increasingly frustrated as all the beautiful chances that United created was either missed, saved or cleared off the line. Petr Cech saved 2 in the 1st half and when Terry headed Giggs' seemingly destined-to-be goal shot away, the frustration hit maximum. I thought if we were to lose that game, it was going to be the darkest day of my life thinking how they missed all those chances.

And then, my friend received a false sms update that Chelsea scored. I was very depressed for a very long period of the game, thinking that I was going to see Chelsea score in a few minutes time. But, fortunately it was a goal that never was.

And it was made all the more tense when the players started to fight 5 minutes before the shootout. The Chelsea players were angry because Tevez deliberately kicked the ball out for a throw-in instead of passing it to Cech as a mark of showmanship. It's ridiculous for Chelsea to act that way bcos they did it twice earlier in the game!! Though I didn't really know what was the cause at that time, when I saw Drogba being shown the red card for slapping Vidic, I was so happy and disgusted at the same time. Go off you fucker Drogba. Good as you may be, but you are such a shame and disgrace. Diver, actor, temperamental, whiner.

When it reached shootout, I thought the sending off was of no impact to our hopes of winning the game. But, I was very confident of Van der Sar cos earlier in the season he saved a hattrik of penalty kicks from Chelsea players in the Community Shield. But it went so wrong that of all people, Ronaldo missed his kick and Van der Sar couldn't save any of first four. It became too stressful to watch.

When John Terry stepped up to take Chelsea's final kick that was to be the winning kick if he scored it, I thought it was going to be the lowest moment of my life. I was prepared to cry my heart out. As nervous I am, but I never really thought he would miss it or Van der Sar would save it.

And to my surprise, he slipped at the most important moment and missed it. It was crazy. We were all so happy. It was like a patient whose heart has stopped beating coming back to life again and the heart started to beat again. The glimmer of hope started to shine brightly. The dim fire of the candle suddenly became a blaze. At that moment, we started to believe again. I felt like we were already almost there and it was going to be fate that we win it. Now I believe it that there can be miracles when we believe.

When Van der Sar saved Anelka's kick, we were celebrating and shouting like mad people. We were euphoric. It was the best moment of my life. It's difficult to describe the euphoria. Nothing beats this. Suddenly, I feel like my life is so much more meaningful.

It's fate that Man Utd has to win this. I don't care if you come to me and tell me that Man Utd is lucky to win, Chelsea deserved to win or anything like that. At the end of the debate, the champions is still Man Utd.

Hail Manchester United the double champion!

No comments: