Monday, May 26, 2008

calling names...

Chinese names today are becoming more and more creative. People now tend to assimilate foreign names especially English into their children's Chinese names, like how the Malay language borrows heavily from English.

For example, Ng Jenny or Ng Jen Nee, Lee Mary, Tan Alex, all of which are just my examples but really, there're a lot of similar names nowadays. Last time, the English words are supposed to be their Christian or English names, which is placed before the surname. Now, they have totally been "Chinese-d".

Maybe it's because when you identify someone with his/her English names too much, the Chinese names are usually forgotten or even ignored. So, they might as well put it as their Chinese names. Although sometimes I do think that we, as Chinese should stick to Chinese names as it is our identity, I admit it's always easier to remember English names. And I know I myself am a Chinese illiterate and I'm kinda shameful to admit.

But, some people go to the extreme with names. Recently, I saw one: Chen Caesar. This is the ultimate one and it's so omg. He even put Julius as his English name. I mean, we as Malaysians will never get used to calling our own people exotic names like this in Malaysia. It's very awkward and weird. In fact, people make fun of it. "Caesar? Caesar?" almost like "scissor? scissor?". Yes, me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jz 2 say hi coming here d 1st time.. =)
hope u dun care i diving all d time..
especially when u talk bout football.. =P
well, wish u all d best in new sem.. =)

conan said...

hi, who are you? fshen? wat u mean by diving??