Thursday, June 26, 2008

random rant...

I'm getting more and more frustrated with some things.

First, my timetable. Before, I had only one 8am class and my days in uni usually end accordingly to the bus schedule where I come out from the classroom straight into the bus. Now, after the many changes, I have three 8am classes and I have to wait at least 45 minutes for the damn bus to get back home for majority of the days! Come on, it's Euro's month!

Of course, I have the option of following friends' cars home(which I did today), but I dislike the feeling of asking for a favour. What's more, it's almost on daily basis that I am in need of transport back home and I'm not good friends to any of my coursemates. It will only increase the feeling of indebtedness in me.

---------------------------------------

Second, my lecturer. Among all my lecturers this semester, one particular lecturer stands out. It's not the one i said i admire, it's one that I hate the most. The hatred grows with time, in fact, the word "hate" can easily upgrade to "despise" in no time.

He's a guy, a more than qualified lecturer with doctorate, short, round, fleshy, specky, and looks so innocent, and carries a fat backpack which resembles himself to class. From first impression alone, he's already far behind the lecturer whom i said i admire(not to mention the real running race).

What makes me so irritated with this doctor is, sometimes he has a glass of teh tarik in class-taking refreshing sips while pausing, he's clumsy, he comes to class unprepared (probably bcos he thinks he's a doctor), he's freaking blur, he needs a lot of pauses to think over the facts he's teaching us, he needs to be corrected all the time, sometimes he insists his steps are correct although basically it's already wrong(it feels funny when he still insist), he makes funny, disgusting noises with his nose while talking(pity the mic), he blows his nose out loud out of sudden in the middle of the class, he uses the tissue he blew his nose with to wipe the board, he writes with invisible marker pen ink, he uses font size "smallest" on the board, he writes piles of shit on the board, he writes more than he speaks, he introduces the ridiculous rule of allowing only 5 of out of 20 tutorial questions to be discussed and he wants us to do the questions ourselves and hand them up when we don't have a single idea what he does in lectures.

Remember what i said about confidence? Yeah, this lecturer has the confidence. I can see it from his face when he explains things. But, how the heck can you trust or admire or respect this guy after you read the previous paragraph? In fact, I feel funny looking at his innocent face when he's lecturing. He can just write one grandmother story on the board, and anytime you have to erase everything you just copied and start from square one again because the whole thing is wrong. It's not just once or twice.

What amazes me more is why the heck only 2 or 3 students failed his subject??! The students must have passed through self-study and sheer hard work. I feel so grateful when I finally got the reference books for the subject. Have been like a stranger to the subject and now, I finally got to know a thing or two about wats the subject about. Who's the better teacher?

I was already thinking about what to write for the end-of-semester evaluation of the lecturers, but soon I realised it could be very risky because as far I know, he's the head lecturer, he's a doctor and I think he's got some high-level post in the uni organisation(with great power comes great possibility of power abuse). Before I knew it, I could be barred from the exam or sitting for the supplementary exam or seeing his innocent face again in his class next semester.

Once, when my friends and I passed by him near the com lab, I said, "Look, our favourite lecturer". My friend smiled and said "Don't too loud ah..". I soften down a bit but then after thinking for a while, wasn't it a compliment?

Yea, I know, u can tell me of what I could have done in terms of my own effort. I could have asked my friends on the subject, or check out for useful books in the library, spend some 5 hours on the subject a day, surf for info on the net, sit in the first row and ask questions and so on.

Haha, you're right.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel ya, I feel ya.... Don't really agree with some changes in the time table as well, but oh well, nothing much we can do right now, can we? The majority prefers it that way...Hate the feeling of having to wake up early, then feel sleepy throughout the entire day.. what's worse, is having to wait for transport..

Oh great master-of-synical-lines, I give u my utmost respect for coming out with the line "with great power comes great possibility of power abuse" funneee!

oh, and I think we can just give our comments honestly on You-Know-Who if there's the lecturer's evaluation... we would most likely be able to keep our identity anonymous.. hehe..

Erm, studying 5 hours a day? fight for front seats? study not one but a few books from the library (which most likely most of them are taken by coursemates at the start of sem)? yea, we know we should be doing that, but we just can't right? It's in our nature to not be like that, so why fight it? We'll just have to study smart la, not exactly hard..

Lookin forward to ur next post.. see ya!

Anonymous said...

"I'm not good friends to any of my coursemates"
duh, it hurts.. T.T
haha.. ok ok i got ur feeling.. =)
different fr mine tho.. bout d lecturer..
well, at least v hv some common in timetable.. =P
haha.. k la.. wish u g'luck.. gambate o.. =)

conan said...

thank you so much for the comments... we are so in the same boat!! all the waking up early thing, feeling sleepy everyday in class, waiting for transport, hating the You-know-who and the laziness... hahaha...

hmmm, maybe i'll still comment la but not as crazy as this post.. heheh.. i dono about the anonymous thing since with great power comes great possibility of power abuse.. hahaha

and oh i like the name "master-of-synical-lines". heheheh thank you thank you..

shen u can cope with the subject ma, i cant thats why i bising... hehehe.. in the end, there's always the "own effort" issue to shoot me back.. hahah..