Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Arrogance is confidence

"Maybe people always kick me because i'm too good. I don't know why."

Cristiano Ronaldo

Yes, arrogance is confidence. If you are very good in what you do, you have the licence to be arrogant. People don't have reason to tell you off because you have the quality, the substance, the value to the society. In fact, in general, many girls like arrogant guys for their confidence and unpredictability.

I have the utmost respect for people who have the substance. For example, I really admire one of my lecturers who is very good in his math field. He can just enter the lecture hall with a thin set of self-made notes, a small plastic bag of marker pens and duster for the board, and get the lecture going. And there's this bit of arrogance about him that impresses me more - his confident look on his face, the sleaves rolled up his arm, the way he walks and talks. I would feel rather intimidated to talk to him because of his overwhelming confidence.

Now, the thing about arrogance that annoys me here is, people who are yet to achieve anything in life, and yet they are arrogant - people who are arrogant for the wrong reasons. For instance, good-looking people who become cocky because of the attention they get. The pride that comes from the constant attention gets into these people and make them think they are important people in the society. Fact is, they have nothing to show off. Beauty is not a talent.

For me, if you have a degree, you speak good English, then you show off to me.

And oh, by the way, I have bad news for Chelsea fans:

after missing the decisive penalty

No comments: