Saturday, August 23, 2008

Respects

A course mate friend of mine passed away last Tuesday, to the shock of most in my course.

Being me, I was, if not the last, one of the last, to know about the news, and I didn't believe it when my friend first told me. When I came to realize that he was really gone, for a moment I was stunned.

There were different sets of stories at first about the cause of his death, from road crash to suicide. I guess that is the power of rumours. But, the real cause was something that really made us ruing his death because it was very avoidable. He fell from the 4th floor of his girlfriend's hostel as he was trying to get into her room through her window by climbing from the roof with a rope.

The buzz about his death wasn't strong among us because this semester he was repeating a number of last semester's subjects and most of all, he was kinda outcast because of his attitude problem. I remember he used to be quite a bad-tempered person, getting into hot arguments with lecturer and friends. As time went on, he mellowed down but still, his one-of-a-kind attitude made him isolated by friends and hated by some. Sometimes, I sympathized him for his social problem as he was most of the time alone by himself in uni. I think that's probably why most don't feel that much about his death.

Personally I don't have anything against him because I'm not really close to him and if we did make contact, we got along well. We greeted each other when we met and chatted a little at times. He was friendly and nice to me. We played futsal together occassionally when I joined the Applied Math gang's weekly futsal session. As I recall, he was in fact a good futsal player.

Here, I, as a friend, would like to wish you, Gideon Chan Wah Ghee all the best wherever you are. May you rest in peace.

3 comments:

JG Hui said...

Don't be sad,pal.Everyone will die someday,it lies within everyone's destiny.As usual,JG will say, "Live your life to the fullest,and enjoy it while you still can,because you can't predict your fate tomorrow."So,stay tune for more entertainments at the end of September!! Wahahahhahaa!!

conan said...

Actually I’m not sad la cos he’s not a close friend… in fact I have pretty bad impression on him last time, but I never had any direct feud with him.. so I’m kinda in the middle.. hehe.. I agree to living life to the fullest but with studies, it’s impossible.. haihh..

By the way, don’t be lazy cos first sem is very important to score as it gets harder n harder.. hehe… and er, I belanja her makan hotel means eat the building… not hotel food or whatever u’re thinking about.. hahaha… and good luck with the sugars, lipids and proteins.. Don’t be “emotionally unstable bcos of the certain indelible experiences” heheheh

JG Hui said...

Haha,that's me!You can't change my nature,bro.First sem ar...Don't think that I can do well too...Bio and Chem subjects wei...