Friday, August 29, 2008

The End

The Dark Knight was really hell of a movie that I watched it in the cinema three times. After watching it thrice, I couldn't understand why I was disappointed with the ending. In fact, I think it's a really meaningful and touching ending.

Gordon: The Joker won. Harvey's prosecution, everything he fought for. Undone. Whatever chance Gotham had of fixing itself, dies with Harvey's reputation. We bet it all on him. The Joker took the best of us and tore him down. People will lose hope.
Batman: No, they won't. They must never know what he did.
Gordon: Five dead? Two of them cops? We can't sweep that...
Batman: But the Joker cannot win. Gotham needs its true hero(turning Dent's face to show the good side). You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. I can do those things, because I'm not a hero, unlike Dent. (turns to Gordon) I killed those people. That's what I can be.
Gordon: No, no you can't, you're not!
Batman: I'm whatever Gotham needs me to be.

It's really touching that Bruce still had the willingness to sacrifice himself to be the scapegoat of Harvey's killings after what happened to Rachel. I think Batman is the true example of a hero. Superman is not. Spiderman is not. Whatever else is not. Batman never answers to his popularity or the publicity. Like Gordon said in that final line of the movie, he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a Dark Knight. He silently sacrifices himself for the people of Gotham. He doesn't need people to know what he has done for them and at the same time, he's willing to be hated, to be the outcast.

The ultimate scene that moved me was when he said "I killed those people."

I think it's a kinda good message to us audience. If we care for someone, we sacrifice for them and we don't need to seek recognition or appreciation. Cos if you truly care for that someone, you just wanted the best for him/her. As long as he/she is well, you're content and you ask for nothing more.

And the more saddening part is, Rachel was not going to wait for Bruce even if she survived. If he knows about it, I think it will drive him nuts.

No comments: